Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ang Okra... bow!

mmkay... so this post should have been merged with the ampalaya post but I decided to put it on a separate post due to it's significance...

You see, yesterday, at our family's reunion and my niece's birthday (Happy Birthday Rochelle!), my brother saw it fit to make the feast more lenten friendly by preparing mostly fish and vegetables(which includes the king of ensaladas, the ensaladang ampalaya!).  Y'see another dish he also prepared was garlic fried okra.  It's basically an Okra half cooked on oil which was previously used to toast garlic (the garlic is then used as a toppings for the okra.

Now as you know, the okra closely resembles the eggplant not visually but alike in that when you eat it, you feel the icky, yucky insides.  Now that I've tried the eggplant, it seemed like a logical step upwards to my new and numerous vegetable conquests...  So I tried it!  Since the Okra was lightly cooked, it still retained the crispness and the insides were not icky nor yucky!  It was goooood!!!!

Here's a pic of the dish I'm telling you about:


It was simple yet surprisingly tasty... and healthy to boot.

But I also learned something about okra... the crispness stays while it was still newly cooked... after the food has gotten cold, it lost the crispness and the icky, yucky insides were back... so I guess I only eat okra when half cooked... it's a good start dontcha think?

'Till my next mumblings!

1 comment:

  1. sayang diko natikman...hehehe makapagluto nga.

    ReplyDelete